Sunday, July 04, 2010

More June Flowers

So last year I did a post about June flowers that missed a few. Here they are, even though it's July.

These are thimbleberry blossoms. They are about the size of a fifty-cent piece and are fragile. The thimbleberry is kind of like the bunchberry -- not much for taste but a fun thing to identify and eat right off the bush. Or you can put it on your finger and pretend it's a thimble.

This has a boring name, One-Flowered Wintergreen, and a cool name, Olav's Candlestick. They are about four inches tall and never lift their heads, as far as I've seen. I found maybe one last year, and this year there are a lot more of them. This spring was very rainy; maybe that has something to do with it. Every year seems to be a good year for some plant or another, and it's different every year.


I have no idea what this is.


This is called a twinflower and I LOVE THEM. They are about three inches tall, and the little flowers range from dark pink to white. They also smell really sweet, if you can get your nose down to them. This was a good year for twinflowers. Maia says they are street lights for fairies.


I have no idea what these are, either. They're kind of more woody than plant-y, and the colors range from red to orange to yellow. Bees like them, and they don't smell.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:34 PM

    how can there be no comments on "streetlights for faries?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would have said something, but I found myself speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. são lindas.belo achado.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the streetlights for fairies.

    The "I have no idea what this is" thing is some kind of coral fungus, I think.

    ReplyDelete