Saturday, March 27, 2010

It Was Funny At the Time

So hockey has been over for awhile. Of course, it's never really over -- John is thinking about checking camp and Maia is being recruited for a girls summer league. (Heh, I said "recruited.") But a couple days ago, John's team and the families got together for one last pool party and hurrah, and it reminded me of a story from earlier in the season that cracked me up and I forgot to share.

We were getting ready to go to Hayward for a tournament for John's team. At John's level, they try to keep traveling tournaments to one a season ("traveling" meaning at least one overnight stay). Matt had some time off so we all got to go down as a family and make a little mini-vacation out of it. We packed up the car (and seriously, why does a three-day trip for four people require a full trunk?) and headed down to Wisconsin.

On the way, we stopped in Duluth to get some beer. Matt ran into the bottle shoppe* while I picked up some coffee next door. When we got back to the car, Matt showed me what he had gotten: a six-pack of Molson Canadian and a six-pack of Lake Superior Mesabi Red. Both great, but both in bottles.

"You have to go back in and buy cans," I said. "We can't drink by the pool with glass containers. You need cans."

"Ohhh," said Matt, and he put the bottles in the trunk (there was no reason to take them back in; we could drink them in our room or back home) and went back in to the bottle shoppe. He came out with a case of Molson Canadian in cans and reported this conversation at the checkout line:

Matt: I was just in but I got the wrong stuff.

Checkout guy (different than the first time Matt was in there): Oh yah?

Matt: Yeah. We're heading down to a hockey tournament in Hayward, and --

Checkout guy (price-scanning the case): Oh yah, you gotta have the cans. They don't letcha drink by tha pool if ya don't have it in a can.

Checkout guys at the bottle shoppe in hockey towns: They know what you need.
*I'm not being pretentious; that's what they're called in Duluth.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:58 PM

    It was Fuller's ESB. No "reds" in my trunk. Just my politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:05 PM

    Shoppe. "Shop-pee." Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:53 PM

    Grew up in Duluth, left, been back 20 years. Never heard anyone here call a liquor store a bottle shop/shoppe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mt. Royal Bottle Shoppe, Lake Aire Bottle Shoppe, there are a few others. And of course lots of stores that don't ID as bottle shop/pes. I think there used to be a signage rule about identifying as a bottle shop/pe instead of a liquor store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it that you travel "down" to Hayward. I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since you were able to get coffee while he was getting booze, I bet I know which bottle shoppe you went to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want a bottle shoppe.
    I am totally going to use "OMGWTFBBQ" as a label, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right, of course, but I still don't call it the bottle shoppe unless I'm allowed to pronounce it "bottle shop-ee."

    ReplyDelete