Monday, August 24, 2009

You Had To Be There

This isn't going to be as funny as it was in real life, and I'm putting this on my blog more so I can remember it than so anyone else can share in its humor, because if you don't know how Maia can deliver a line in a level, almost condescending tone, this isn't funny at all. She reminds me, sometimes, of River Tan from Firefly, saying odd things in a way that makes it clear that it's my problem if I'm not keeping up.

We had spent a long day sitting up talking with grandparents, and it was time for her to go to bed. "Can we read tonight?" she asked, and while I don't like to say no when it's about reading, it was after 10 p.m. and one of these days I really need to get them back on a school schedule. So I said, "No, not really, not tonight, you can look at a book until I go to bed, which is only in a few minutes, and that's it."

I turned to walk down the stairs, and she made a little sobbing noise behind me.

I turned back around and said, "Are you OK?"

"Yes."

"It sounded like you were crying."

She looked at me as if I were wasting her time. "No."

"Oh."

"I was burping."

(Beat.)

"Silently."

(Beat.)

"So no one else would hear me."

Alrighty, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment