Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Jump Start

Wow, summer has totally taken over my blog. Part of the problem is that I spend a lot of time on blogger editing blogs (for, you know, money), and at the end of the day when it's time to fire up the Edit Barn, I am really, really tired of looking at blogger. This post from Barrett was a a reminder about how much I like to write and should write. Sarahlynn has a quote from W.H. Auden on her blog, and I find it inspiring as well: "You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at."

So, here's the getting on.

* * *

We went down to Omaha last weekend for my 20-year high-school reunion. There's not a ton to say. I don't regret going, but I can't say, honestly, that I enjoyed it. The people who looked right through me 20 years ago looked right through me last weekend, and most of my closest high-school friends weren't able to make it. I *did* shake hands and talk briefly with my senior-year nemesis, which was pretty much the most unexpected moment.

* * *

I love it when my musical history can be summed up on a road sign:


* * *

Scene: In the car on the drive down.

Maia: John. JOHN. Want to play super-animals?

John: No, Maia, I'm reading and fantasizing.

Maia: What's fan-ta-size-ing?

John: It's when you imagine and make something up in your head.

Me: So...what are you fantasizing?

John (luxuriously): I'm fantasizing that we're at T-Bonz and Mom is playing pickle cards, and she scratches one off and wins a million dollars.

There is a respectful pause.

Maia: Wowww. So...and then what? Do we get some popcorn?

* * *

I usually don't do these type of viral marketing things, and if I do, I don't usually put it on my blog, but Christina did, and her blog can do no wrong, so I will too, because this cracks me up. Here is me walking past the cleaning lady on my way to do some editing at home:


I think it's the expression that cracks me up the most.

*And, yes, that's a different one than I had up earlier. I realized I had forgotten to change the hair color, and then I decided on a different hair style, because the other one made me look disconcertingly like our realtor from many years ago.

1 comment:

  1. The same thing happened at my reunion (the "popular girls" from 20 years ago looking right through me) but I made the assumption that they were intimidated by my beauty. I'm sure the same was true in your case.

    ReplyDelete