Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Change

Matt is home after a rough shift that started at 2 a.m. He's dozing off in front of the Wild game. Maia is soaking away in a hot bath; John is poring over the latest National Geographic. The dogs are sleeping. A year ago, I was beginning to have my doubts about where my employer was going and Matt was stuck in another slow construction winter. This year, as on the national level, it was all about change. We took some big risks this year, with my resignation and Matt's new job on the railroad (and by the way, he starts engineer training next week). Maia started kindergarten. John started his next-to-last year of grade school.

The crescent moon is hanging low in the cold sky tonight. Orion reaches and stretches out from behind the horizon. At midnight we'll go out and look at them and listen for ships on the lake and trains heading up the hill. We'll talk about what 2009 will bring, and I think a lot of it will be good. I hope your good things stay good, and that you get the changes you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment