Thursday, October 23, 2008

Oh, Come On

Scene: In the car
Players: Maia and I
Background: We are on the way to John's hockey practice; Maia likes to hang out with the younger siblings. She is talking about the night before, when we were at her hockey practice and she was spending time talking with N, a boy in her kindergarten and on her team.

Maia: Mama, I was a little bit embawassed yesterday when it was time to go.

Me: Why?

Maia: Bikaz I was mad that you said it was time to go home and go to bed. In front of N. Dat's why I got so mad.

Me thinking, Seriously?: Oh. Well, um, what would have been a better thing to say?

Maia: I wish you haddent said it was time to go to bed. Dat embawassed me.

Me: Well, we need to think of something to say for next time. Because when it's time to go, it's time to go.

Maia: Yeah.

Silence, as we think.

Me: How 'bout next time I say, "Maia, come here, please; I need to tell you something." And then you come over and I tell you it's time to go, and you can run over and say good-bye to N.

Maia: Yeah.

Silence again, as I think, "Did we really just have a conversation about how I can keep from embarrassing her in front of her friends?

3 comments:

  1. Could it be you were wearing glasses held on your head with a strap? Or was that Sistah who told her dad he could wear sweats but not the glasses strap when serving as carpool driver?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:32 AM

    I thought embarrassing her child was a mother's job. Most of us do it so well.

    ReplyDelete