Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A Tiny Quiz

It shouldn't surprise me when I hear a cliche in its natural environment — but whether it's a political lie, a cultural myth or a humdrum stereotype, I'm always taken aback to the point of laughter when I actually hear one uttered without irony.

As we were watching the speeches tonight (the kids told me that if I didn't want to hear what McCain had to say and was going to argue every point he made, I should just switch to watching baseball), John told me he had heard one. I'll let you guess what it was.

A) My friend said that George Bush was helping us win in Iraq.
B) My friend said that John McCain was going to make us win in Iraq once and for all.
C) My friend said that Obama is a Moo-slim. What does that mean?
D) My friend said that Hillary wants to take his guns away.

If you know the area, you can probably guess. You can probably guess my response, too.

4 comments:

  1. From what I heard about McCain's speech, it was too pathetic to even argue with, so baseball would have been a good choice.

    Rochelle and I were at the Obama rally, along with pretty much everyone else in the Twin Cities. To say the lines and crowds and hassles were worth it would be an understatement.

    Oh, and my guess would be C) Obama and his supposedly Moo-slim self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO JEALOUS that you got to go! How awesome! The energy was so obvious, even through TV.

    Actually, the answer is D. And before I could stop myself, I said, "Well, clearly [friend] and [friend's parents] don't really know what they're talking about." I don't know if they think Obama will take their guns, though. I play hockey with the kid's mom. Clearly, I'll have to educate her -- after I check her into the boards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obama will take away their guns AND their Bibles. Since he's a Moo-slim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guessed D. Cause, you know, his friend has guns.

    ReplyDelete