Thursday, June 05, 2008

McCallsday

As an erstwhile English major, it pains me a bit to say I am not a huge fan of James Joyce. I tried and tried to read Ulysses (and all I remember, through doing crosswords, is its first line with stately plump Buck Mulligan at the beginning, and then its last word), plodded through "Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man" and found it forgettable except for "pull out his eyes, apologise" and Parnell being dead. I must have read some of "Dubliners" but I don't remember any of it.

However, I love the idea of Bloomsday, marked by lots of drinking and an all-day public reading of "Ulysses." If you have this big huge book that no one understands, why not read it out loud at people once a year?

In this vein, but with much more love, I offer you good wishes for a Happy McCallsday, or perhaps I should call it Convoymas. You know the song, the one that starts out, "Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June..."

Yes, yes! You know! Sing along!

"...in a Kenworth pullin' logs. Had a cab-over Pete with a reefer on, and a Jimmy haulin' hogs."

Yes! Convoy! My parents had a couple of C.W. McCall albums as I was growing up, and when I was five or six I loved them. When you're three, you realize that the world is big and you are small, and it's kind of a pain to learn. But by the time you are five, you see that the world is big but you're pretty big too. The sky is big and the prairie is big and colors are so bright they fill you up until you can feel them, and semi trucks on the Interstate are huge and a little scary and when there's a song with a driving beat and soaring strings that goes "...so we crashed the gate doin' 98, I sez 'let them truckers roll, 10-4,' " it's so awesome and big and glad it almost makes you cry.

That is how much I love "Convoy" — and, indeed, many other C.W. McCall songs. Let the celebration begin.

11 comments:

  1. OK, seriously, anyone else know all the words? Anyone?

    Also, how awesome is McCall's awesomely bad lip-synching in that video?

    Finally, do you know how old he is now? He will turn EIGHTY in November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't sing along; sorry.

    However! My boy loves trucks, so when I saw that Convoy was available via on-demand cable, we watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thus passing C.W. McCall on to the next generation; beautiful. (Although I have to say I've never seen the movie.)

    It was so cold here I turned the heat on on McCallsday Eve. And then we had a real, live nor'easter get its rain on all night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Editbarn readers should know that Krup's parents had other music besides Convoy. Krup could listen to Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Beatles, Dylan, etc. etc. etc.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad was a truck driver. Believe it or not I DID used to know all the words!! Remember most of them. But did you ever make up your own CB handles? The precursor to internet usernames... I was Road Runner. Brother was Pig Pen. Mom was Sage Hen. Dad was Irish Rover. In the summers my bro and I used to ride our bikes the mile or so to the little family diner off the Interstate (that had truck parking) and meet my Dad for lunch when he happened to be driving through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mustang Sally5:52 PM

    omfvadMy dad was a truck driver. Believe it or not I DID used to know all the words!! Remember most of them. But did you ever make up your own CB handles? The precursor to internet usernames... I was Road Runner. Brother was Pig Pen. Mom was Sage Hen. Dad was Irish Rover. In the summers my bro and I used to ride our bikes the mile or so to the little family diner off the Interstate (that had truck parking) and meet my Dad for lunch when he happened to be driving through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I _loved_ that song. I had the 45 (yep, damn old, that's me!!!). And now, Paul Brandt (a Canadian country singer) has paid homage to CW McCall with a remake that is awesome. Check it out on YouTube!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you would envy me with a burning envy if I told you C.W. (Bill Fries) lived (verily, still liveth!) in the town next to the one in which I grew up, and every summer, they had a big show of this documentary slideshow thing that he narrated (and also "Convoy", like 1,000 times) and that my stepfather knew him in some capacity (I think he might have painted his house)?
    Smoochie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am writhing with the jealousy of a thousand burning suns -- or even a thousand screamin' trucks. I knew he was a mayor for awhile somewhere out there...out there in the promised land.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see you air violin when they get to the verse where the head to the Jersey shore!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not only does "Convoy" remind me of being 5, it also reminds me of being 20. Twenty with YOU, man!

    ReplyDelete