Friday, June 27, 2008

Go Me!

Today is my birthday.

Update at 10:28: I was going to do stuff like bake a cake and spend all the time I wanted agate-hunting, but I HAVE AN IPOD! Yes! I've now made it to the middle part of the decade! So I've been spending the morning downloading all sorts of Songs From When I Was Young and putting them on my shiny new iPod that's engraved with "Soundtrack to Editbarn" on the back. I found it when I came up from the basement after waking the kids up and I could hear Metallica's cover of "Ecstasy of Gold" by Enrico Marricone blazing away outside from my car. And there was the iPod! AWESOME! WOO! THANK YOU, MATT!

Update at 2:52: After I was done downloading music (Fugazi! Screaming Trees! Guadalcanal Diary! And Jill Scott!), Matt took me to lunch at one of my favorite places for lunch, the New Scenic Cafe. I had the asparagus and brie pizza (with onions, lemon, baby spinach and truffle oil) and a glass of red wine, and Matt had the fried egg and asparagus sandwich with gruyere and something else. Nom. For dessert I had key lime pie with huckleberries and he had some kind of pie, I can't remember what it was. Yurrrrrm.

Update at 5:51: The problem with an iPod is that after carrying it around for a day you think, "You know, this would be so much better if it had, you know, a phone in it."

22 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonne anniversaire, Madame Editrix! You shall have a bday card strategically hidden on your desk upon your return. Also: how do you find who comes to your blog again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both!

    Nugget: sitemeter.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOHOOOO! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY NEW IPOD!!

    Amazon

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy bday! i got my ipod for mine. changed my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very happy birthday to you, pen pal of mine :-)

    Have a fabulous and melodious weekend.

    Love, Sophie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, my friend! I'll have a beer in your honor tonight. THAT is the kind of friend that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! Mmmm...I love the Scenic cafe! And I'm drooling over ipods, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! I wanted to write that in Russian, but it turns out I don't speak the language.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazon: Thanks -- good to see you here, woman!

    Pista -- Every once in awhile, I'm like, I could totally run with this thing. Or, you know, think about running with it. If I still liked running.

    Sophie -- Many thanks. :)

    Frog -- I would expect nothing less from you! (Especially with the last few days you've had, seriously.)

    Brooke -- Thanks!

    Liss -- Not only was I at the Scenic, but I was wearing a vest and carrying an iPod. If I had a Subaru, it would have been like I was a founding member or something.

    Mach -- I'll teach you. It's wonderful: S'dnyom rozhdeniya. Just rolls right off the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Birthday!!!
    Happy, happy one.
    -PK

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! I agree that iPods are fun. When I got mine, I kept forgetting that I had hand-picked all the songs. Every new song that came on, I'd think, "Hey, I LOVE this song!" and then I'd remember, "Oh, right..."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, I hear those iPods with phones are pretty kick-ass...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:30 PM

    Happy Birthday (late) from Sharikov and all the Sharikovettes. We'll pull your ears next time we see you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sharikov s sharikovtsami? Sharikov i svoi sharikonity? I could go on, omakhanka that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sharikovnitsy, I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sharikov8:09 PM

    Sharikovliata. Sharikovchiata. Luche Omakhanka chem Minnesotationok.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sharikovshchina.

    A luche dvegavanka chem omakhanka.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sharikovshchina is actually not what I mean, but I can't figure out what I did mean. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Sharikovschina12:24 PM

    Actually, I think Sharikovschina is the best. Not really a name for the collective, but more a description of what happens when we come to visit. "This time of troubles became known as the Sharikovschina". Or, ala "dedovschina", something you have to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bwaa..."-shchina" is definitely underused when it comes to my list of go-to suffixes.

    ReplyDelete