Thursday, January 10, 2008

Nine. I KNOW!

John had his golden birthday yesterday. I had never heard of a golden birthday until I moved to Minnesota, but I love the concept -- a little extra celebration when your number of years matches the number of your birthdate. This is the first year John has gotten really, really excited about the big day. He did the countdown, the jittery constant talking about it, the fake casual questioning: "Hey Mom? Um, I'm JUST wondering, but...so, did any packages come today? I'm just curious."

Last night, as I was putting him to bed, I got all Mom and started talking about "Nine years ago right this minute, we were holding you and looking at you and waiting for people to come to the hospital!" Which, really, what nine-year-old boy wants to hear? He listened politely, then lifted his arm to his mouth and gave a righteous forearm fart.

"Dude," I said. "Come on. Maybe some manners when your mom is talking!"

"Aw, Mom," he said, lowering his arm and laughing. "It's my birthday. I'm a whole year grosser!"

7 comments:

  1. Oh, that is a fantastic concept! And I just had mine (28 on August 28th)!

    Happy Birthday John!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said "fantastic concept," at first I thought you meant "another year grosser." Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait--nine?

    John. Nine. ??

    Not possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, have only heard of the golden birthday in Minnesota. As kids, people would think you got totally ripped off if you wasted your golden birthday when you were only 1 or 2. I had to wait until I was 19, and was a sophomore in college, not in Minnesota. Also totally ripped off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the 19th, a week from tomorrow, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emilin: I know. And he's SO nine.

    Beverly: John was loudly feeling sorry for Maia because she will have her golden birthday when she's 30. I had mine when I was 27, but I don't think I got anything special for it. And happy birthday, a week early.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH. My. God.
    Perfect.

    ReplyDelete