Tuesday, January 01, 2008

I Made This!

I've been sitting on this post for a long time. I finished my first knitting project a couple months ago, and in the tradition of knitting bloggers everywhere, I wanted to post a picture and brag about it. The thing is, it was Christmas present for Little Brother, who reads this blog. Now he has the hat, and I can brag about it.

Right after we moved here, Matt discovered Firefly and decided instantly that we should own it. He purchased the entire series on DVD and we spent many evenings in our unfurnished living room, sprawled in front of a fire, drinking whiskey and watching "Firefly."

If you've seen the show, you know what it is. If you haven't, all I can say is that it's basically a scifi space western in a Chinese universe. And it's by Joss Whedon. And it's full of beautiful people and it's awesome.

One of the characters, Jayne, is a mercenary who in one episode gets a package from his mother.


I went off this pattern but made several changes. I cast on about 80 stitches, because 56 was way too small (I don't know if I knit tight, or what). I used Brown Sheep Nature Spun Yarn in Sunburst Gold, French Clay and Burnt Sienna. I doubled the yarn to make gauge. I ribbed for only two rows, because I don't think it should be so stretchy. In my photo, the edge is rolling up, but before I gave it to Little Brother, I ironed the edge down and it looks much better. I really should have a photo of him wearing it, but he hasn't e-mailed it to me from his phone yet.


Go me!

2 comments:

  1. little brother1:40 PM

    The hat is oh-so-shiny!

    I am the envy of all my peers, which is itself more than a wee bit creepifyin'
    -little brother

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
    I just wanted to type that.
    To me, knitting is a magical power. I can't believe how many bloggers knit. I want to make a pumpkin hat that I saw on a blog.

    ReplyDelete