Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Late Summer Evening

We're done playing soccer in the yard and I'm pushing the kids on the swings. It was hot most of the day, but the sun is low and the shadows are blue and cool.

"I'm swinging higher than the sky!" Maia cries. "Than a buildin'! Than a airplane! A jet! A spaceship!"

John pumps his legs back, trying and not trying to kick me. "Watch it," I say. "OK, sorry," he replies, and I really notice for the first time in a few months how very big he is getting. He reminded me yesterday, on his first day of third grade, that in three years he would be at the high school. He's almost too big for the swing. I'm tempted to kiss his back as it swings away from me, softly, without him noticing, while I still can.

It's an awkward proposition, so I kiss my hand instead, and push him with it, three or four times.

"A cloud!" says Maia. "A star! A planet!"

"I'm trying to kiss you," I tell John. "Mwah! Mwah!"

"Doh-ant!" he says, laughing and a little annoyed. "That slows me down when you do that."

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:08 AM

    I understand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I'm glad that Sarah won't be at our high school until she's in ninth grade.

    Which is plenty soon enough anyway.

    They have 6-8 in the same building? Wow, those seniors must look *huge* to 6th graders!

    Except to John, of course, who will be as tall as they are. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually crying right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful, bittersweet moment you've described.

    ReplyDelete