Sunday, April 15, 2007

Whose Child ARE You?

The day comes when the child you thought you knew does a superhero change right before your eyes into something unknown. Something almost alien. Your own values are shaken to the core and you wonder if you will ever be able to communicate as parent and child again, or if you've moved toward being equals, or if this new being has outstripped you and moved into a world you will never understand. A world where you don't speak the language; a world you almost fear.

I dropped a Reese's peanut butter egg into John's lunch the other day.

He straightened up over the breakfast table and actually swallowed his mouthful of cereal before he spoke. "Mom? I don't think I want that. I just don't think those are very good. The peanut butter tastes kind of...funny."

Speechless, I felt the world break away around me.

"In fact, Mom, I don't really like peanut butter at all. I'd rather have other kinds of sandwiches, if I could, please."

5 comments:

  1. His uncle would be proud! No advice on other lunches that are so inexpensive, portable, OK at room temperature, and relatively healthy.

    --your sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that just means more Verda Bars for the rest of us normal people, I guess.

    I've been making him nitrate-free turkey-and-mozzarella sandwiches with mustard and lots of romaine. He says the kids at school say "ewwwww" because by lunch time the lettuce is a little wilted, but I don't think he cares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:09 AM

    What can you expect from a child whose mother didn't like Jell-o?

    Would he like almond butter?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would Nutella work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:37 AM

    I'm with John (still the independent soul) on this.
    I didn't like peanut butter as a kid either.

    I wonder why it's always been considered a healthy choice for kids when most nut butters contain lots of salt and sometimes sugar. Nutella, for example, lists sugar as one of its main ingredients. No wonder it makes such a great dessert ingredient.

    Defending your lunch to other grade schoolers is just another thing that will make John strong!
    Try wrapping the lettuce separately for him to add.

    You and your boy continue to make me smile.

    ReplyDelete