Wednesday, January 24, 2007

John Rocks. I'm Biased, But No, Seriously. He Does.

It would be hard to have me for a mom. I'm always asking my kids, "How do you feel? What do you think? What did you do?" I do it because they say such interesting things. Not interesting like watching Cosmos, or going to a museum, but interesting like, "Wow. Where did YOU come from?" Almost like they're experiments. Sometimes they're just so much their own people it's like watching a train race past on the track and I'm standing there in the blowback wondering what just happened, and I turn just in time to see someone waving from the caboose, already disappearing.

Last night as I was tucking John in we were just kind of hanging out and chatting about having his best friend, Justin, come spend the night in a couple weeks. John was cuddling Sarah and was being crowded out of bed by approximately 7,000 other stuffed animals.

"So," I said, curious, "what's Sarah going to do when Justin comes over? Is she going to be able to stay up that late?"

John smiled. "No, maybe she can have a sleepover with Maia. Or maybe she can just sleep in here."

"Oh," I said. And then John went on.

"When we were playing hockey a couple weeks ago, and we thought Justin was coming over that weekend, I asked him if he would laugh at me if he found out I had a doll. And he said no. So that's good."

I was speechless.

John took a deep breath. "I have to work hard to ask people questions like that," he said, a little shakily, then smiled again.

"I'm sorry I got you all worked up," I said, "But wow. Wow. John, you rock."

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:57 PM

    He really does rock. I'm in awe.

    - bread and roses

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm almost in tears. Your son is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rocks, rocks, rocks. Nice job on that experiment -- seems to be going incredibly well so far!
    Amazon

    ReplyDelete
  4. No joke. If I thought I could be a mom like you and have a kid like John (or one like Maia), I'd reconsider parenthood. He's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I read your blog. =)

    ...so his doll wasn't named after our Sarah?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all. I asked if I could post this story and he said, "You know, I think I'd like to keep it private. But you can put it on your blog." We talked and I think what he meant was he didn't want to talk about it anymore, but if *I* did, that was OK.

    Sorry, Kris -- he used to call a Fisher Price Little People toy "Green Sarah," after Sarah and the dress she wore at Grace's baptism, but Sarah the doll was all about a first-grader on the bus.

    ReplyDelete