Thursday, December 21, 2006

Make the Sun Stand Still

Tonight I took the kids to the Solstice Party at the lighthouse. There were s'mores, cocoa, a bonfire on the lake rocks, and drumming. The lake was roaring and there were two ships in the docks. A woman wearing Carhartts bibs over her Norwegian sweater danced like a bear around the fire in her workboots. Another woman jumped through the blaze. It was wild and magic and corny in such an earnest Minnesota small-town way you feel like crying and laughing at the same time. We got there at about twenty after the hour, and the earth began to turn back toward the sun as we stood there on the shore and watched the fire and felt the drum. The kids fell under the spell of the cold and the wind and the flames.

Then I pinched Maia's neck trying to zip up her coat, and John decided the best way to spend his time would be to roll down the hill, for fun, and the spell was broken, and a new cycle began.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:56 PM

    Hi. I know this is so incredibly random, but I've basically tried everything else. Way back in August of 2005 you posted a blog about a certain story you read when you were about 12. It was about a girl who was lonely and who suddenly started getting random kind notes, written in green ink. In the end, the reader finds out these notes were written by her dad. Anyway, this is my father's all time favorite story, and I am desperately trying to find a copy of it. I have spent days searching the internet for it, and have had no luck. If you remember anything about it-- a name of the book, an author, or even the name of the teacher that read it to you-- it will help. I need this book so badly! I know this is a long shot, but I'm desperate. Thanks.
    Kristi Wilson
    ilovelucy_02@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check your e-mail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, but don't get your hopes up.

    ReplyDelete