Friday, September 29, 2006

Get Me Rewrite!

I don't necessarily want to push my kids to become editors, but I have to admit I get a nice warm feeling in my typing fingers when they do editorial things. Maia has a little suitcase that she opens, pretends to type on and says, "I'm working, sweetie." I complimented John on his spelling and told him spelling was important in my job, and he said, "Maybe someday I'll be a copy editor!"

That conversation kind of went downhill, though, because then he said, "Well, I think maybe I'd rather be a writer. A writer of children's books, maybe."

I said, "Well, I think a lot of copy editors would rather be book writers. I'd like to, sometimes."

John perked up. "Well, then, why don't you just retire early? And then you could!"

Why not, indeed?

Yesterday at lunch, though, I saw that Maia might go beyond a mere copy editor to running the newsroom. We were eating lunch when Maia took a baby carrot and jammed it into the corner of her mouth, all J. Jonah Jameson.

(Copyright Marvel Comics)

Then out of the blue she stood imperiously in her chair, leaned over the table, grabbed a pencil and carefully wrote her full name in large letters on the back of a bill that was sitting there, clenching the carrot in her teeth. She stood again, eyes flashing. I pity the reporter she may manage someday. Nothing will get by her and her bag of carrots.

2 comments:

  1. This gives me hope for the future. A future full of carrots, dammit! Now get out there, Parker!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:08 PM

    Don't fact check if you're not gonna use the info!

    JJJ was the publisher of the Bugle. I'd try Perry White, for Cesar's Ghosts sake!

    ReplyDelete