Friday, September 15, 2006

Blah Blah, Blah Blah-Blah, Blah

From Bush's press conference today:

“It’s unacceptable to think there’s any kind of comparison between the behavior of the United States of America and the action of Islamic extremists who kill innocent women and children to achieve an objective.” (Growing animated as he speaks)

According to Iraq Body Count, a respected independent nonprofit group, more than 43,000 civilians have been killed in Iraq. Maybe some were insurgents, but no one has ever been able to tell me how "insurgent" is defined in news stories. When I started working at the newspaper I made a minor pain out of myself asking how reporters of wire stories knew that when the government said "U.S. forces killed 23 insurgents today," that really did mean insurgent. Instead of just "dead body." Instead of 14-year-old Abeer Qassim Hamza al-Janabi and her five-year-old sister, Hadeel Qassim Hamza, who weren't even killed for an objective.

I think Bush needs to shut the hell up.

"Imagine if an enemy who doesn't like us gets ahold of oil resources."

How about an enemy who does like us? Like Saudi Arabia? What fun *that* would be!

3 comments:

  1. Amen!!!!

    Ugh, I always dread election years. And I live in Canada!! It's just so pervasive. I can't believe that man got into office not once but twice. That's just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen and amen. It's so infuriating sometimes my head just explodes.
    Canada, I hope you're getting the guest rooms ready...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may have to scam guestrooms from other friends in the area - you have no idea how many people are planning on moving! But I'll find 'em, you just come on up!

    ReplyDelete