Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Jelly Day

County fair is this week, so I'm trying to whip together some apple jelly. Yesterday's effort was subpar because of bad straining mesh, but I did end up with a half-pint of sweet-sour apple jelly and some puckering applesauce. We also ended up with two burned fingers and a tiny burn on John's neck because of splashing boiling apple pulp. But that's all a part of it.

Here is a link to the made-in-USA Design Without Remorse chair we got a few weeks ago. (Our color is camel, which is actually a darker buttery-scotchier than shown on that site.) The one we got was a floor model, and so the price listed there is NOT what we paid.

* * *

The hot weather broke last week and we now have warm weather with cool breezes -- perfect baking weather, perfect weather for drying clothes on the line and feeling capable and self-congratulatory on one's energy use, perfect for pre-fall. We watched the first quarter of the Vikes' preseason game last night -- what is it with preseason strategy? Should any team EVER go for a field goal in the preseason? Wouldn't that be a useful time to try fourth-down strategies? Yargh.

* * *

I'm looking forward to the kids going back to school (YES! Maia starts preschool next month!). I know I'll take that back after a month or two of getting up to drive John in, but I think everyone's ready for a little more structure. Plus, shopping for school supplies! WOOT!

1 comment:

  1. Apple jelly - yum! Have you ever tried apple butter (making it, I mean)?

    And back to school - 19 days!!! I got the school supplies in July, because no WAY am I fighting the crowds over the last pencil case.

    ReplyDelete