Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In Which I Consider Writing A Children's Book

Class lists were posted today. (An aside: This is a way small town. They post the class lists in the window of the school. Here's me waiting for a mailed letter already. Hee!)

John and his current best friend are in different classes, which was cause for some disappointment. He saw names of other kids he knew, though, and seemed to be pleased with the distribution.

Except when we got back in the car.

"I see that Heather is in your class," I said. (She's the one who was calling him names in first grade, and whom he then married in a nice playground ceremony a few weeks later.)

"Nuh-uh," he said. "That was a different Heather."

"No," I said, confirming the last name.

"OH BROTHER!" he cried. "OH, I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE IT. Oh, MAN."

It sounded so much like the beginning of a chapter book for eight-year-olds. Everything was fine...until I found out HEATHER was in my class, too.

1 comment:

  1. I would leave a comment, but as my Psychic Twin, you already know what I was gonna say, dontcha?

    ReplyDelete