Monday, May 22, 2006

In Which John Tragically Learns About Free-Market Western Style Capitalism, and Mourns

On Friday, John was watching TV when he saw a commercial saying that the Narnia movie was on another channel. He asked if he could watch it. I, distracted, said yes. After he started watching it, I realized that what he had seen was a teaser for a pay-per-view showing of the Narnia movie.

Sure enough, 10 minutes later, John was in tears. Wracked with sobs. "It's gone! I can't find it anywhere! It just stopped and went black!"

I explained to him about the pay-per-view system, and how the commercial was just that -- a commercial taking him to another commercial that tried to get him to pay for the rest of the movie.

He was devastated. He could hardly speak. Finally, he choked out: "Why do they have to tease people for money? Why can't they just work for it?"

1 comment:

  1. Sheena5:08 PM

    ""Why do they have to tease people for money? Why can't they just work for it?"

    Heh, I love that. He sounds more like 23 than 7 (or 6? I can't remember).

    Sheena

    ReplyDelete