Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Boo!

About the ghosts. John is reading a book that I used the read when I was about his age. It's about ghosts and has two scary, scary pictures in it: the photos in this spooky post.

Shiver!

Anyway. John was saying he would like to see a ghost, or, barring that, find some more pictures online. Matt took this opportunity to tell his ghost story, which is that when he was growing up, he had a friend who lived in a house that had a poltergeist in it. Doors slammed, windows opened and shut by themselves, there were odd cold spots, and the dog would growl at nothing.

Matt is not so in to ghosts; he talked about the bad foundation that house must have had, the drafts, the leaky pipes. John, however, ate it up.

The kids and I went down to the computer room. This is in the basement, in a walkout room that also holds out hot-water heater and unused wood burner. As we sat down, the BACK DOOR, WHICH IS ALWAYS LOCKED, BLEW OPEN! BY ITSELF! I'M NOT KIDDING! We spent an hour online listening to ghost wavs and looking at ghost photos and generally creeping my shit out.

John slept fine that night. Me? I'm jittery just typing this post, and it's the middle of the day.

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the strange tapping and scraping on our dorm window senior year, EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE NO TREES NEAR OUR WINDOW. I think we later decided it was Agnes Mellby trying to contact us because her name was spelled wrong on the graduation announcement (Melby lawn) and she knew that, as editors, we'd be the students most likely to right such a grievous wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I TOTALLY forgot about that! Poor Agnes. We totally let her down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If John is into ghosts, you need to do what I did with Sarah and get him hooked on John Bellairs stories. Sarah and I recently finished reading "The House with the Clock in its Walls", one of my all-time favorite ghost stories. With illustrations by Edward Gorey, which is the real hook for me. But the writing and character development are good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAAGH!
    You can tell John I saw a ghost once, when I was little.

    ReplyDelete