Thursday, April 06, 2006

Were You There?

here are those who probably think we don't do enough spiritual work with our children, and those that think we do too much. When John asks about God or Jesus or related issues, we answer his questions as best we can going by our beliefs (which aren't the same, in any case), with the understanding that there are all sorts of cultural and social baggage that goes along with knowing or not knowing certain aspects of the Judeo-Christian tradition, with a big ol' emphasis on the word Christian.

We were in the process of beginning the investigation into possibly maybe joining a progressive church perhaps when we decided to move. We are now examining another progressive church up here and are working ourselves up to maybe visit it. Sometime.

You can see how we are.

The other day, John asked me a question in the car. I'm ready for the questions about gay marriage or AIDS or other things ("Mom? What's a drug house?"), but the religion ones sometimes catch me off guard.

"Mom? I have a question for you."

"Lay it on me."

"Well, um, the other day, I was looking at a Bible..."

You were? Uh, at school?

"...and I saw this picture of Jesus Christ where he was nailed to the cross..."

Oh boy.

"...and I just have one question about it."

Yes, I bet you do.

"I'm just wondering, when I look at it..."

Yes, yes? WHAT?

"...how did they get up there to nail him to the post? It's so high off the ground!"

Now that one, my friends, I can answer.

2 comments: