Friday, April 07, 2006

Do What Now?

Scene: Getting ready for day care
Starring: Maia
Minor role: Me
Prop: Tiny enameled box

Maia: I gonna take my box to day care.

Me: OK, but keep it in your pocket, because I don't want the baby to get it.

Maia: OK! It's my Julia box.

Me: Your Julia box?

Maia: No, my Julia box.

Me: Your Julia box?

Maia: No! My Julia box.

Me: Your...Julia box?

Maia: NO! MY JULIA BOX!

Me: Julia?

Maia: NO! MY! JULIAAA! BOOOOX!

Me: I'm sorry, Bug, but I don't understand what you're saying. Julia?

Maia: NOOOO! JU! LEE! AH!

Me: JU! LEE! AH!

Maia: NO. (Sigh.) Julia.

Me (flummoxed): Hm.

Intermission, as we regroup

Me (tentative): Julia?

Maia: NO. MAMA. JULIA.

Me (hopeful): Uh, juliar?

Maia (instantly sunny): Yah! Julia.

Exeunt

Driving home from work last night, I figured out what she meant: Jewelry.

3 comments:

  1. Reading this again, it seems obvious that she was saying "jewelry." But she has a friend named Julia, so that's what I kept hearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lived through conversations like this too. They're hilarious after the fact (okay, sometimes during, too).

    ReplyDelete