Tuesday, March 28, 2006

PSA

People, keep the chocolate away from your dogs.

Gorm ate almost two pounds of Ghiradelli's semi-sweet yesterday and made a good run at bursting his heart last night. Follow-up treatment after Matt took him to the vet's involved lots of getting up all through the night as various orifices expelled various things. Activated charcoal is nasty. He has torn out his IV catheter, drunk about 17 gallons of water, and probably bruised himself running into things.

Today he's crashing. He looks exactly like he's getting over a bender.

7 comments:

  1. Oh poor Gormie. You know he's sitting there right now thinking, "I will never eat chocolate again! NEVER! It's not worth feeling this crappy! NEEVVVVEERRR!" just as some of us did after especially bad hangovers in college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt said that on the drive home from the vet, Gorm kept bumping the radio to turn it on, and it was Twisted Sister. He obviously wanted to keep the party going, much like some people who do things like end up on stage air-drumming, which is really what conversations like this always come back to in the end. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Poor Gorm! (And poor you--that's a lot of Ghiredelli down the ... erm ...). I'm glad he was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So odd... instead of a word verification here, I'm seeing a photo of a big fat middle finger. Not sure how to type that into the little box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Gorm. Poor you! Losing all that chocolate!

    I had a dog once who (I have no idea how) found a nearly-full one-pound box of Sees chocolates and ate them while I was at work. I feared! I called the vet, who said to keep an eye on her and bring her to Vet ER if she showed symptoms (other than the copious diarhhea and crazy caffeine rush). She was fine. Later I found her trying to get her nose under the loveseat to get at that one. Last. Chocolate. It had rolled underneath. Good grief. I'm glad Gorm's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad Gorm! That chocolate was for Krup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorm! not for you!

    my ten pound chihuahua mix once ate three good belgian chocolate bars. straight off to the emergency vet with us! and then the vomiting and the iv's and the overnight stay.

    ReplyDelete