Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

Last night, John, Matt and I watched the "Silver Blaze" episode of Sherlock Holmes, the production where Holmes is played by the inimitable and delicious Jeremy Brett. (Incidentally, that link cracks me up. Fan sites rock.)

John was a good sport throughout the Britishisms, the jokes aimed at class, and liked the twist at the end of the story. In the middle of the show, he leaned over and whispered urgently, "Mom, put this on my list*. I want a Sherlock Holmes outfit JUST LIKE THE ONE HE'S WEARING NOW, with the hat, and the gloves, and the long coat, and the walking stick, and I want a pipe that curves way out and down like his, only it blows bubbles, and I want a special feeling in my hands, or maybe it comes in the gloves, so that when I'm looking for something in the ground and I pass my hands over it, my hands tingle and I know where it is. I don't think you can buy something like that in a store, but I bet Santa can make something like that."

* His Christmas list. Which, incidentally, also includes a bedwetting alarm.

4 comments:

  1. If you find such gloves, please also buy a pair for me!

    Jeremy Brett...amazing. he really outdid the chap who played Holmes in the older series, whoever that was. Sometimes remakes really are better. In this case, without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris, just ask Santa for the gloves. He can make anything, you know.

    I totally agree about the remake. And not only that, but I think those shows are equal to the books themselves. Which is no small praise, since the stories are a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes! I loved watching Brett's Holmes with Dad, a big Holmes fan. Brett is the Holmes in my head when I read my dad's christmas stories every year (I know I've mentioned that before, sorry).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt and his brother used to read the Holmes stories when they were children. The first time they read "The Final Problem," Little Brother went into hysterics. I think he was about 7. He was a total wreck, convinced Holmes was dead. Reading "The Adventure of the Empty House" did little to comfort him. To this day he is reluctant to read "The Final Problem."

    ReplyDelete