Monday, October 31, 2005

The Real Meaning of Samhain

Maia was all ready to be a ghost for Halloween. Or a pirate. Or, possibly, a ghost pirate. With a cowboy hat. Or something. Whatever it was, she was ready to be it.

Until today.

We went out to find something for a costume, something ghosty or piratical, when in the middle of Walgreens she decided she was going to have nothing to do with dressing up this year.

There were no tears, no protestations, no tantrums. It was almost like talking to another adult. Standing in front of the costumes, she turned to me and said, "I no want to dress up. No I want to."

"Really? You really don't? Don't you want to go trick-or-treating?"

"No. No I want trick or treat, no I want candy. No I want put costume on either."

I don't like disbelieving my children, but I did have to ask her a few times to make sure she truly understood what she was giving up. She calmly asserted that yes, she was sure; no, she did not want candy, and no, she did not want to wear anything other than her regular clothes.

I don't know how she spent her evening; I had to work. She is such a funny independent little one, I imagine her spending a nice quiet Samhain in gentle remembrance of the passing year.

John, on the other hand, is all about Halloween. I talked to him on the phone as he, Maia and Matt drove home, and the first thing John said was "I GOT 129 PIECES OF CANDY! THAT'S WAY MORE THAN LAST YEAR!"

John went as a soldier. Would you have guessed that?

2 comments:

  1. Not in 10,000 years would I have guessed that. Couple of freethinkers you're growing there.
    Amazon

    ReplyDelete
  2. A soldier is surprising. Then again, it was Operation Candy.

    ReplyDelete