Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Ladies and Gentlemen, the next Julia Butterfly Hill

Yesterday at preschool, Maia and her friends played a game of Squirrel. Squirrel resembles musical chairs. The teacher put about a dozen hula-hoops on the floor of the church-basement great room, and every child pretended to be a squirrel. Each child stood in a hoop -- their trees. They stood in their trees, pretending to eat nuts, until the teacher, wielding a pretend ax, chopped one of the trees down.

Then all the squirrels scatter and run to other trees. You know, typing this out, it is kind of an odd game.

Anyway. All the squirrels scatter -- that is, except for one. One squirrel remains in her tree, crying fiercely and hollering, "I DON'T WANT YOU TO CHOP MY TREE DOWN!"

The teacher left Maia in her tree.

4 comments:

  1. Aaaaahhhhhar...
    I bet she enunciated it really well too, didn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of an odd game?

    ReplyDelete
  3. PK, I'm sure she said it like this:

    "I! DON'T! WANT! YOU! TO! CHOP! MY!.....TREE!!.....DOWWWWWN!"

    Which is how she talks when she's angry.

    And yeah, Kris -- when Matt was telling me about it, I was thinking, what did she EXPECT was going to happen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. I admire Maia.

    ReplyDelete