Monday, July 25, 2005

OK, Now I'm Starting To Get Mad

I'm going to switch gears here -- I haven't gotten all politically self-righteous in a while, so I'm going to do so now.

You might have missed it, what with all the Rove stuff and John Roberts stuff and London debacle stuff going on over the weekend. But I'm here to bring you up to speed on what the government didn't do on Friday.

It didn't turn over the remaining photos that were taken of detainee abuse at Abu Ghraib. The Pentagon refused a federal judge's order to release the unseen photos and videos. That's right, refused.

What's in those photos? Well, according to Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, r a p e and murder.

Seymour Hersh, in his speech before the ACLU convention about a year ago, said there was a video of boys being s o d o m i z e d. (Sorry, I just don't need the google hits right now, thanks.) In the prison.

Our troops. In our name, the name of freedom, and the name of the Iraqi people.

Or something.

So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to write to my favorite congressmen, the one's I've written letters of support to over the years and given money to, the ones who remember my children's names and my key issues when they see me. I'm going to ask them why they aren't pressing for the release of the photos. I'm going to ask why they haven't said anything about the photos -- every congressperson and senator has seen them. I'm going to ask them if they really think that keeping these images quiet really does promote freedom and democracy in a country that has sorely lacked both for 20 years -- or here at home, for that matter. I'm going to ask them that if they think these images -- created as a direct result by actions of our government and people acting for our government -- are so explosive that it will cause harm to our government, is that government really worth protecting?

I'm going to ask them a lot of things.

And I'm going to do it every day. A little bit differently, every day.

It's not a big thing. But it will make me feel better. And it might make you feel better, too.

Here is a link to an article in Editor and Publisher that says everything I just said in a more coherent and documented way.

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog this afternoon (while I should have been working) and wanted to let you know what an enjoyable read it is. Well, most everything except for this Abu Ghraib mess. I am sorry to say that I am becoming numb to this sort of news, that I have come to expect it almost. Your post, however, reminds me of the importance of the little things, of doing what we can, of chipping in and hoping that the collective action dilemma can be overcome, or that some positive change will eventually be realized. So, thanks for the inspiration, and thanks for the really great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sister. The little things are all that we can do sometimes, but better that than nothing. Count the SB in.

    ReplyDelete