Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Edit Barn Lite

I haven't blogged much about politics or current events, which is too bad, because I'd tried to keep this about a half'n'half mix of cute kid stories and biting lefty commentary. I've been feeling kinda "what's the point?" about the biting lefty commentary lately, so if you're here for that, my apologies.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, on to cute kid stories!

When John was about three, he echoed his parents a lot and gave us a pretty good insight about how we spoke. One of the funniest things he picked up was a phrase I didn't even knew I said.

"John, do you want some yogurt with lunch?"

"Actualleeeeeeeee....no."

The tone of voice is hard to convey -- the "actually" was filled with sincere consideration, and the "no" was the perfect combination of sorrow and dismisssal.

Maia has picked up her own catchphrase. We were playing "I Spy" outside yesterday and had this conversation:

"I pie my li'l eye...sumptin....red!"

"My car?"

"NO! Dis!" (points at my shirt)

"Oh! It's kind of red, but I think it's more purple, actually."

"Yeah! But it's not."

Again, the combination of enthusiasm and crushing finality, like a game-show host saying "Thanks for playing!" at the end of the show. And when she says "but it's not," she shrugs generously, as if offering you have a point while she marks up two or three.

* * * * *

When I change her diaper, Maia points her legs at the ceiling, and pinches the extra skin on her knee-cap to make a line across the knee. It took me a long time to realize what she was saying as she did this was "FROG! FROG!" but once I got it, I could see the frog, too.

* * * * *

I was reading a chapter from C. S. Lewis' "The Magician's Nephew" to John the other day. I read a sentence that went something like, " 'Our sun is smaller, for one thing,' said Digory. 'It's yellower, and gives off a good deal more light.' "

" 'Heat,' " interrupted John. "The sun in our world 'gives off a good deal more heat.' "

I looked. He was right. But what was interesting was that he wasn't reading over my shoulder. He was lying down in bed, while I was sitting up perpendicular to him.

"You're right," I said. "It is heat. How did you know that?"

"I've read this book before," he said, and smiled.

1 comment: