Saturday, February 05, 2005

The Vanguard

John: I'm going to bring Sarah to school today for show-and-tell!

Me: Oh!

Matt and I thinking together: You want to what? That's a great idea! I'm so proud of you! You are so strong and brave! Are you kidding? The kids will tear you to pieces! What are you thinking! You might lose her! If you do bring her, and they laugh, will that make you love her less? If we say anything, will it make you love her less? I want you to take her. I don't want you to take her. How can there be change if we don't take risks? Why does it have to be my kid who is the vanguard of the revolution? Wait, I'm trying to be the vanguard of the revolution! Is it fair to make him follow our politics? It's not politics to have a boy learn to nurture. I don't want to say you can't. Why can't you be four years old forever? Why is this so hard to talk about? How can we talk about it without putting thoughts into your head? Everyone should be able to love something like that and learn it's not something to make fun of. Why does my kid have to be the one to make the change? Why can't someone else do it for once? It would just be so much easier if he came up with something else to bring. But why should he? He wants to share something he thinks is fun and he's proud of. How can I dissuade him? Should I dissuade him? Should I encourage him? Why is this such a big damn deal? Why shouldn't it be a big damn deal? Why is this so hard? It's not hard, the answer's right there. Is it? Damnit.

2 comments:

  1. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

    we share a brain

    ReplyDelete