Monday, December 20, 2004

Verbal Flagrant Dis

It's always fun when one of your heroes shares the same value system you do. (Some might argue that your heroes SHOULD share your value system, but that's another blog for another person.) I'm sure many people were ecstatic when they found out that Curt Schilling supported Bush. (I was not one of them, but since Curt Schilling is not someone I admire, it was no big deal.)

I hate to even Google this, because I'm sure it's been blogged about everywhere already, but I just caught it and I'm thrilled. On page 107 of Lemony Snicket's "The Slippery Slope," we have this passage which I have quoted below. Olaf is the evil man trying to capture the three Baudelaire orphans, and Sunny is the youngest of said orphans. I imagine her much like Maia. Her vocabulary is understandable about half the time, and her siblings often interpret for her. In this passage, Sunny is in Olaf's evil clutches while her older brother and sister and trying to find her.

Sunny sighed, frustrated that there was no one on top of the Mortmain Mountans who understood what she was trying to say. "Translo," she said, which meant "Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean that it's nonsense."

"There you go, babbling again," Olaf said, and tossed Sunny the car keys. "Get the groceries out of the trunk of the car and get to work."

Sunny suddenly thought of something that might cheer her up a little bit. "Sneakitawc," she said, which was her way of saying "Of course, because you don't understand me, I can say anything I want to you, and you'll have no idea what I'm talking about."

"I'm getting quite tired of your ridiculous speech impediment," Count Olaf said.

"Brummel," Sunny said, which meant "In my opinion, you desperately need a bath, and your clothing is a shambles."

"Be quiet this instant," Olaf ordered.

"Busheney," Sunny said, which meant something along the lines of, "You're an evil man with no concern whatsoever for other people."


I love it. I love these books more than ever.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that is IT. I have got to read those NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You HAVEN'T yet? You MUST! I recommend them to everybody. They are great. And the dig at Bush is the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my GOD, I didn't catch that!

    *is breathless*

    ReplyDelete