Thursday, October 28, 2004

Is the Election Over Yet?

Those who know me know that I like a lot of what comes with politics. A presidential election year is full of excitement, and this one will not be over Nov.2. But there is one thing I"m tiredof in political coverage.

This morning on MPR, they ran a story -- more specifically, a feature -- about what people in hair salons and barber shops thought abou tthe election. Because of this brilliant hard-hitting news idea, we were treated to a lot of this:

"Wal, I was thinking about voting for Kerry, but he believes in abortion. So I guess I'll vote for Bush."

"I've thought about it a real long time, and I just can't come to a decision! So I'll decide when I walk into the voting booth."

"I just can't trust that Bush, with the war in Iraq, and everything. But I don't feel like I can trust Kerry, either."


When did news organizations decide that I'm not capable of talking to my neighbors myself to find out what they think? If I cared, I could ask people on the street or in the coffeeshop or next door to see what they were thinking. Problem is, I DON'T care. I don't listen to the radio to find out what other people are thinking -- I listen to the radio to find out what the news is.

A seven-minute feature on what "regular folks" think about the election is a waste of seven minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Frankly, all those features do is scare me. Really. How could you not have decided by now? Surely, you have convictions about *something*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not even the undecideds that get me anymore. It's the assumption that I give a R.A. about what Jeanie Bemidji or Antone Lake Street thinks about the election. I don't know Ms. Bemidji or Mr. Lake Street! I DON'T CARE!

    I'd also like to apologize to all for the typos I see now. When I was typing the original entry, Maia was sitting on my lap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanie Bemidji! [snort]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:03 PM

    I was very pleased this week when a news crew was wandering around our local bar looking to do some kind of vox pop, but frantically unable to find a single Bush supporter. I swear the guy asked everyone in the bar, and the best he got was "Well, there was this one guy here a minute ago, but he's gone home".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:04 PM

    oops! I forgot to sign that!

    Not anonymous, Anna Phor

    ReplyDelete