Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Our Next Vice President, John Edwards

I will spare you the photos I took at the Labor Day picnic the other day. We stood way in the back (because of the kids, who were getting owly), and so my photos of Edwards consist of an unidentifiable man waving his arm on stage in front of 12,000 screaming fans.

His speech was good. Not as strong, I thought, as his speech at the DFL convention, but I liked his emphasis on labor. A lot of the other speakers were more campaign-oriented -- getting Bush out, supporting Kerry and local DFL candidates -- but Edwards did a nice job talking about Labor and how important it is to work to strengthen it.

I also had a chance to tear into a young guy with a Nader t-shirt who was holding a handmade poster decrying Bush's and Kerry's corporate ties. I stomped over (as you can see, I did a lot of stomping that day) and told him it was insulting for him to support a union-buster at a Labor Day picnic. He told me he didn't know what I was talking about and then said the guy who was trying to form a union at Nader's organization was actually a plant funded by Republican corporations.

I haven't had that good a laugh in a long, long time. I was laughing so hard I couldn't even think to ask him about all the Republicans supporting Nader in his drive to get on the ballots, so I settled for telling him he was offensive and stomped off.

2 comments:

  1. My first impressions of Kerry and Edwards came a couple of years ago at the Jefferson Jackson Democratic Dinner in Des Moines, and I remember thinking that Edwards would be president someday.... hoping that he will be someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures. I like pictures!
    Share!

    ReplyDelete