Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Climate of Fear

I shouldn't give this next person any attention. As near as I can tell, she's a political has-been who was interviewed for an "opposing viewpoint" on women voters on NPR's Morning Edition Monday.

But that's just the problem, isn't it? She blathers this out and now it's national.

Her name is Donna Sytek, and she's the former speaker of the New Hampshire House of Representatives. The story was about "security moms," the voting bloc du jour that either candidate MUST capture in order to win the presidency. Sytek was making the point that all we moms worry about is safety. Safety from scary people who hate us for our freedom.

"It doesn't matter if you have health care, if you aren't going to be safe in your home," she said. "Minimum wage doesn't matter if you don't have a job to go to because, you know, terrorists have blown up the building."

You know, maybe it is better to get this viewpoint out there, because there's Bush's domestic policy in a nutshell. I've blogged before about the economic terrorism this administration is waging on the population, especially the middle class. No one's been able to explain me, though, how it's not treason to so blatantly disregard the people's welfare.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my God, I heard that bit on the way to work on Monday. It doesn't matter if you have minimum wage when the terrorists blow up your building?? What the fuck??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard it too. It makes me scratch my head. I mean, quitting my job and moving to a new state, with the prospect of not having a job where I am going, scares me a whole buttload of a lot more than the concept of having some terra-rist (Bush pronunciation there) blow up something here in the good ol' US of A. How stupid. Having no health care and being faced with an illness is scarier. Having no savings is scarier. Because this is all stuff that can and does happen all the time, to loads of people.

    Whew. Sorry to use your comments as a soap box. Practicing up for the debates tonite I guess.

    ReplyDelete