Wednesday, July 07, 2004

I Will Not Vote For You in a Box

Our county's DFL candidate for state house is a turkey. There's no getting around it. I believe he is running for his own ego. He hasn't lived in the county for several years; he moved back and is living in a dilapidated old farmhouse, the rent on which is being paid by his parents; his job is "sole proprieter and consultant." He is not married and has no kids.

None of which, of course, should disqualify him from running. We need all kinds to make it a truly representative democracy. But with two of his campaigning pillars being education and property taxes, how are his arguments supposed to hold any legitimacy? He's already been called on it several times -- both inside and outside the party -- and is continuing on his way, blithely repeating his "core issues" without modifying them at all, regardless of audience, medium or context.

I am not going to vote for him. I am sure he doesn't know this. I am sure he is taking my vote for granted. But I am not going to vote for someone who, when giving the county unit an update on his campaign, says with astonishment, "Door-knocking has been great! People bring up the issues of jobs and education and everything, and I don't even have to tell them what they should think on the issues!"

No comments:

Post a Comment